This is going to be an odd sort of post…
I'm in Ottawa on business but will be heading home later this morning. I'm driving, so expect the trip to take around six hours with the odd rest stop. The post will be augmented as I travel home using my trusty iPad and/or iPhone.
Let the journey begin…
- 7:30am – Leaving hotel downtown Ottawa, the Delta Ottawa City Center. Rooms were nice, bathroom way too small. The car is warmed up, cellular coverage is five bars and I'm three levels below ground.
- 7:55am – Stopped for an Americano and muffin at Starbucks at the corner of Woodruffe and Carling. Still in Ottawa, haven't got to far yet.
- 9:26am – Prescott, Ontario. Haven't been on the road that long but need a 'break'. That venti Americano is starting to look like a bad idea. I remember standing in line at Starbucks thinking; 'should I get venti (large)?'
- 10:58am – passing through Kingston, Ontario. Note, I had to pull over for a quick phone call so wasn't driving while making this post.
- 12:22pm – Belleville, Ontario. A little more than halfway home. Stopped for lunch and gas and a few more phone calls.
- 1:23pm – Port Hope, Ontario. Had to pull over for yet ANOTHER call. This is normal by the way, I attend a lot of meetings via conference calls, but still ridiculous. I'm equipped to talk while driving but had to review some documents.
- 2:45pm – Ajax, Ontario. I didn't really want to stop, but nature calls, thanks to that early morning venti I'm sure. There in the distance, a perfect place to stop… Starbucks! This time I better stick to the smaller grande sized drink. Only an hour an a half from home, my goal is to make it there without stopping.
- 4:42pm – Guelph, Ontario. Almost home, had to make one last quick stop to Tweet and post on Facebook a 'support' message for Bell's 'Lets Talk' campaign in support of Mental Health. Bell is donating $0.05 for every interaction using the hashtag #BellLetsTalk. So far there have been over 7 million!
- 5:15pm – Home sweet Home!
So my original estimate was six hours but with all the stops it took almost ten. Crazy. And that's why I typically take the train or fly. However, I was able to make some side trips and get around town without a cab. One has to weigh the pros and cons. I did finally finish my audio book which wouldn't have happened otherwise.
Did I learn any lessons? Yes. Avoid the venti.